Jesus Teaches Hell 101
by Pastor Rick Brentlinger
(Pace, FL, USA)
Jesus teaches Hell 101
Because He is God, Jesus is our authority on hell.
Go to Luke 16:19-31
Christians who truly follow Jesus believe what Jesus believed. If we claim to follow Jesus and reject what He believed, we are not really following Jesus. Here is a remarkable fact. 20 of the 23 times hell is mentioned in the New Testament, Jesus is the one who brings it up. Since Jesus believed it was important to warn religious people about hell, we need to understand what Jesus taught about the reality of hell. FREE pdf of this Bible study.
Print it out and fill in the blanks.
In the New Testament, hell is mentioned in these verses: Matthew 5:22, 29, 30, 10:28, 11:23, 16:18, 18:9, 23:15, 33, Mark 9:43, 45, 47, Luke 10:15, 12:5, 16:23, Acts 2:27, 31, James 3:6, 2 Peter 2:4, Revelation 1:18, 6:8, 20:12, 14.
According to Revelation 1:1, John's information on hell in the book of Revelation came directly from Jesus Himself. Therefore 20 of the 23 times hell is mentioned in the New Testament, Jesus is the one who warns us not to go to hell.
We use the old King James Version
for Bible study because it is the most accurate
and because most newer versions leave out the word hell in many places in the Bible. If you do not have an old KJV you may use any Bible you have. Just be sure that you look up the verses as you answer the questions.
What Jesus Taught
In Luke 16:19-31, Jesus is teaching religious people, Luke 16:15, who mocked His views, Luke 16:14, and did not believe in Him. He tells the story of two men, one rich and outwardly blessed, the other a poor despised beggar with very few blessings. Both of the men in Jesus’ story die and enter the afterlife.
1. According to Jesus in Luke 16:22, when the beggar dies, where does he go? ________ ________, aka, paradise, heaven, the good place.
2. According to Jesus in Luke 16:22-23, when the rich man dies, where does he go? Luke 16:22-23. _______
3. According to Jesus, is hell a different place than the grave? Luke 16:22-23. ________
4. According to Jesus, is the rich man happy or tormented in hell? Luke 16:23. ____________
5. According to Jesus, what does the rich man beg for in hell? Luke 16:24. ________
6. According to Jesus how does the rich man describe his situation in hell? Luke 16:24. ________
7. According to Jesus what caused the rich man's torment in hell in Luke 16:24? _______________
8. Jesus describes the lost in hell as being cast "into a furnace of fire: there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth."
Matthew 13:42. Do you believe Jesus? Yes. No.
9. In Matthew 25:41, Jesus says: "Depart from me ye cursed, into everlasting fire."
Do you believe Jesus was serious when He warned people about hell? Yes. No.
10. How does father Abraham describe the rich manʼs situation in hell? Luke 16:25. __________
11. According to Jesus, is it possible for someone in hell to get out? Luke 16:26. Yes. No.
12. In Luke 16:19-31, how many times does Jesus use some form of the word torment
to describe hell? Circle the correct number. 1 - 2 - 3 - 4
13. According to Jesus, when we die, are we awake, aware and conscious or asleep and unconscious? Luke 16:22-23. _________
14. According to Jesus, is hell a good place to go when you die or a bad place? Luke 16:23-25. _______
15. According to Jesus, did the rich man in hell want others to go there? Luke 16:27-28. Yes. No.
16. Do you believe you will die one day? Yes. No. When you die, do you know for sure you will go to heaven? Yes. No. Would you like to know for sure? Yes. No.
17. Do you know that Jesus paid the penalty for your sins when He died on the Cross so you wouldn't have to go to hell? Romans 5:7-9. Yes. No.
18. Did you know Jesus rose from the dead so you could be sure that God accepted the blood he shed
to pay the penalty for your sins? Romans 8:11, Revelation 1:5. Yes. No.
19. Have you repented of your sins
and asked Jesus to save you from hell? Mark 1:15, Romans 6:23, 10:9-13. Yes. No. 20.
Will you pray right now and ask Jesus to forgive your sins and save you from hell? Yes. No.I will believe - I DO believe - that Jesus died for me, That on the cross He shed His blood, from sin to set me free, and right now I repent of my sins and receive Jesus as my Savior from sin and hell."The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish (in hell), but that all should come to repentance."
2 Peter 3:9
You have permission to make copies of this Bible study to give away free as long as you do not copyright it, sell it or post it online.
Here's the FREE Hell 101 pdf
Return to Bible Boot Camp
Return to 101 Community
Gay Christian 101 Home Page
Can you tell me how to get saved?
What happens when you get saved?
FREE Bible Studies For You
Jesus believed in a literal hell
Does the Bible say homosexuals
will go to hell?
Is it true that I will go
to hell because I am a lesbian?
Surprises in hell
Does the Bible say
Jesus went to hell?
The Hell-bound Train
This page updated 12-08-2013