Why are some people homosexual?
by Furaha Dimitrios
(Dar es Salaam, Tanzania)
Please pray for our
brothers and sisters in Tanzania
Homosexuality is a normal condition for about 5% of the human population. Scientists and theologians still disagree over what, if anything, causes homosexuality.
- Some people believe that homosexuality is the result of a cold and distant father and a dominant mother. This pseudo-psychological view was popularized by Joseph Nicolosi of the infamous NARTH, a classic collection of wingnuts.
- Some people believe that homosexuality is the result of being molested as a child. Being molested does not make anyone gay although it often does cause psychological problems.
- Some people believe that homosexuality may be genetically caused although there is no conclusive scientific proof for this theory.
- Some Christians believe that homosexuality is always the result of a sinful personal choice made by the individual. This is the unproven opinion of Exodus International and their anti-gay supporters.
- Some Christians believe that homosexuality is the result of God's choice for the individual, made by God before birth and therefore it cannot be blamed on the individual.
Because no one knows why some people are born with an inclination toward heterosexuality and some people are born with an inclination toward homosexuality, the most Christian thing we can do is exercise grace
toward those with whom we disagree on this issue.
Instead of judging
and condemning their gay
brothers and lesbians
sisters and transgender
family members, Christians should be walking in the Spirit,
Galatians 5:16, loving each other and being about our Father's business, witnessing
the good news of salvation by grace alone through faith alone in Jesus Christ alone.
It is important to remember that God loves ALL of us and Jesus died for ALL of us, whether homosexual or heterosexual. Jesus is not willing that any should perish but that all should come to repentance,
2 Peter 3:9.God bless you richly
in your gospel work in Tanzania.
Helpful LinksCould same sex attracted eunuchs
be ancient gays and lesbians?
Who is Jesus according
to the Gospel of John?
Return to Gay Christian FAQ
Return to 101 Community
Gay Christian 101 Home Page
Idolatry and Sex
Can you tell me
how to get saved?