What makes you so sure your interpretation of Scripture is correct?
(not the Founder of this website)
(somewhere in Florida)
1. Because the complementarian interpretation of Genesis 2:24, that God only blesses an Adam and Eve type of marriage, one man with one woman, is not the Biblical view and is not the verdict of history.Jesus teaches Hell 101
God richly blessed polygamous marriages, a man having multiple wives, which disproves the complementarian view. God also blessed incestuous marriages between brother and sister in the case of Abraham and Sarah, between nephew and aunt in the case of Moses' parents, Amram and Jochebed, between first cousins in the case of Jacob marrying Leah and Rachel.
The point is that God is not locked into the box so many anti-gay Christians try to put Him in when it comes to what types of marriages God will bless.
2. Because the traditional interpretation of the clobber passages, which condemns committed gay and lesbian partnerships, does not hold water when examined in context. Click any NavBar button under, What The Bible Says, for detailed information.
3. Because although Sodom is mentioned 48 times in the Bible, no author of the Bible mentions or condemns gays in any context where Sodom is mentioned. And by the way, sodomites in the Bible are not gays and lesbians.
4. Because early Christians did not interpret Romans 1:26-27 as a universal indictment of gay and lesbian partnerships. Watch the short video at the Romans 1:26-27 text link for more info. Instead, early Christians understood Paul to be condemning shrine prostitution in Romans 1.
5. Because things that are different are not equal. It is dishonest to take verses about shrine prostitution and interpret them as universal condemnations of homosexuality when the original writer and the original hearers did not interpret them that way and when they are not interpreted that way in the Bible itself.
6. Because scripture cannot mean now what it did not mean then. Because even anti-gay scholars admit that the context of the clobber passages was not gays and lesbians, because the clobber passages, in context, were not condemning committed faithful non-cultic same sex relationships when they were originally given, it is dishonest to insist that today, the clobber passages have changed their meaning and are now condemning gay relationships.
What must I do to be saved?
Return to Gay Christian FAQ
Return to 101 Community
We've answered the what makes you so sure question. Return to Gay Christian 101 Home Page.
This page updated June 3, 2013