What is the wrath of God?
by Pastor Rick Brentlinger
The wrath of God is His holy and eternal hatred of all sin, evil and unrighteousness: Psalm 5:5, 11:5, 45:7, 119:104, 128, Proverbs 6:16, 8:13, Isaiah 61:8, Jeremiah 44:4, Amos 5:15, 21, Romans 1:18, Revelation 2:6, 15. God's wrath and justice reflect the holiness of God stirred to action against sin, Deu 7:1-5, resulting in punishment of evil-doers, 2 Thess 1:9, Revelation 20:11-15.
This FREE wrath of God pdf can be printed to pass out at your Bible study as long as you do not sell it or post it online. It is two pages long.
How is God's wrath
different from human wrath?
God is holy and perfect in righteousness; he is not a sinner, therefore God's wrath is never an out of control emotional response. Human beings are born with a sin nature, Romans 5:12. We are not perfect and since human wrath is always emotional and almost always fallibly sinful, human wrath always has an element of our sinful self in it.
What does the Old Testament say
about the wrath of God?
The wrath of God is implied when Adam is warned he will die if he disbelieves and disobeys God, Genesis 2:17, because God's loving character, will and purposes were challenged by Satan and Adam and Eve. God's wrath is demonstrated when he drives Adam and Eve from the garden of Eden after their sin, Genesis 3:24-25. The destruction of most of the human race via Noah's flood demonstrates God's wrath against sin, Genesis 6-8.
The plagues upon Egypt and the destruction of Pharaoh's army demonstrate God's wrath against human rebellion and disobedience, Exodus 15:7 when Pharaoh refused to let God's people go. God's holy anger and wrath against Israel when they broke his covenant by worshiping the golden calf demonstrate his wrath even against the sins of his own people, Exodus 32:11.
Idolatry was often the cause of God's wrath in the Old Testament. Moses warned of God's wrath upon Israel if they broke his covenant, Deuteronomy 11:17, 29:23, 29:28. Psalms warns of the wrath of God against nations, Psalm 2:5, 59:5, 59:13, 78:49, 79:6; against Israel for her sins, Psalm 89:46, 92:7, 95:11; and God's prophets to Israel also spoke of God's wrath against sin, Isaiah 13:13, 14:6, 60:11. Zephaniah 1:14-15 warns of the great day of God's wrath.
What does the New Testament say
about the wrath of God?
The Greek word for wrath is, ὀργή - orgē, pronounced or-gay. The old King James Version translates orgē as wrath, 31x, anger, 3x, vengeance, 1x, indignation, 1x.
The wrath of God - Romans 1:18
1. The FACT of God's wrath - It is a revelation from God, known only because He chose to reveal it to us, unknowable apart from divine revelation
2. The FOCUS of God's wrath - all ungodliness and unrighteousness
3. The FURY of God's wrath - in flaming fire taking vengeance, 2 Thessalonians 1:8-9
4. The FINALITY of God's wrath - everlasting fire, Revelation 20:9-15
5. The PROPITIATION of God's wrath - Jesus appeased or propitiated God's wrath by Himself enduring that wrath to pay for our sins
6. The FREEDOM from God's wrath - God has not appointed us to wrath but to obtain salvation by our Lord Jesus Christ, 1 Thessalonians 5:9, Romans 5:9
Bible study on the wrath of God
1. In John 3:16, what did God do for the human race? ____ ____ ____
2. In John 3:36, what is on you if you do not believe on the Son? ____ _____
3. Why do saved people not have to worry about the wrath of God? See Questions #1, 10, 20, 28, 29
4. In John 1:29, who is the Lamb of God? ________
5. In Exodus 12:3-5, the Jews in Egypt were told, each house was to give a lamb, as a blood sacrifice to God. In Exodus 12:6 and 21, what did God tell each household to do with their lamb? ____ ____
6. In Exodus 12:22, the lamb's blood was to be struck on the _______ and ______ ______ of the door. God required this blood sacrifice to point out how serious sin is and how serious God is about being obedient to Him.
7. In Exodus 12:23, what would God do when He saw the blood of the pass-over lamb on the lintel and side posts of the door? _____ _____
8. In Exodus 12:23, was God's wrath averted if they refused to put the blood of the lamb on the lintel and side posts of the door? _______
9. Every Jew who heard John the Baptist preach about the Lamb of God, John 1:29, associated the lamb with the passover lamb in Exodus 12 and with God's lamb in Genesis 22:8 - "God shall provide _______ a lamb for a burnt offering."
10. In 1 Corinthians 5:7, Christ our ___________ is sacrificed for us and in Isaiah 53, "all we like ______ have gone astray and the LORD hath laid on him" - Jesus - "the iniquity of us all… he will bear their iniquities."
11. Do you remember what John Baptist called Jesus in John 1:29? ___ ____ __ ___
12. In 1 Corinthians 5:7, what is Jesus called? ___ ___________
13. In Ephesians 2:3, unsaved people are called ___ _______ __ _____
14. According to Romans, what two things are revealed in the gospel?
a. Romans 1:16 - the _____________ of God
b. Romans 1:18 - the _____ of God
15. In Matthew 3:7 and Luke 3:7, what did John the Baptist warn the Pharisees and Sadducees to flee from? ______
16. In Romans 1:18, what is revealed from heaven? _____ __ ___
17. In Romans 2:5, what are unsaved people treasuring up for themselves? _____
18. In Romans 2:8, what do people get who refuse to obey God? _____
19. How does the law work wrath in Romans 4:14?
a. The law exposes my sin. Romans 7:5, 10, Galatians 3:24
b. The law reveals that I am condemned. John 3:36, Ephesians 2:3
c. The law warns of coming judgment. Acts 17:30-31, Romans 2:5, 8, Revelation 16:19, 19:15
20. In Romans 5:9, name one thing we are saved from? _____
21. In Romans 5:9 we are saved from wrath through __________?
22. What did Jesus do to save us from God's holy wrath? ____ __ ___ _____
23. From whose wrath did Jesus save us when He died on the cross? ____ _____
24. In Ephesians 2:3, before we got saved, we were all the children of _________.
25. In Ephesians 5:6, what comes upon the children of disobedience? _____
26. In Romans 5:9 how does obeying the gospel and receiving Jesus as Savior save us from God's wrath against sin?
27. In Colossians 3:5-6, what sins bring the wrath of God upon the children of disobedience?
28. In 1 Thessalonians 1:10, what did Jesus deliver us from? ______
29. In 1 Thessalonians 5:9, God promises that we are not appointed to _______ but to obtain ___________ by our Lord Jesus Christ.
30. In Hebrews 3:11 and 4:3, God swears in his wrath that some will not enter into His rest. Who will not enter into his rest? ___ _______
31. In Revelation 6:16, unsaved people fear the ______ of the Lamb. What happened in Revelation 4:1 (Romans 5:9 and 1 Thessalonians 4:16-17) to saved people? ___ _______
32. In Revelation 6:17, we learn that the great day of God's _____ is coming. Who gets the wrath of God, saved people or lost people? ________What is justification by faith?
Download FREE Bible Studies
Buy Gay Christian 101 eBook
What is the gospel?
Jesus teaches Hell 101
Return to Sermons
From wrath of God, return to
Gay Christian 101 Home
This page updated January 14, 2016