"Many are eunuchs; and these panders, serve without suspicion those that wish to be free to enjoy their pleasures, because of the belief that they are unable to indulge in lust.
But a true eunuch (εὐνοῦχος eunouchos) is not one who is unable, but one who is unwilling, to indulge in pleasure.” [with a woman].
Again, Clement speaks of eunuchs, quoting the followers of Basilides, a Gnostic heretic and their view of Matthew 19:11-12.
“The Valentinians, who hold that the union of man and woman is derived from the divine emanation in heaven above, approve of marriage.
The followers of Basilides (Gnostic heretics, not mainstream Christians) on the other hand, say that when the apostles asked whether it was not better not to marry, the Lord replied: "Not all can receive this saying; there are some eunuchs who are so from their birth, others are so of necessity."
And their explanation of this saying is roughly as follows: Some men, from their birth, have a natural sense of repulsion from a woman; and those who are naturally so constituted do well not to marry.” [a woman]. - Clement of Alexandria, The Stromata, III. I.
- The eunuch condition is common (“many are eunuchs”)
- True eunuchs (born eunuchs) are “not unable but unwilling” to indulge in pleasure (with a woman).
- Born eunuchs have “a natural sense of repulsion from a woman.”
- A natural sense of repulsion from marrying a woman is an inborn trait, not a chosen lifestyle.
- Men who are born this way do well not to marry (a woman).
Clement quotes the followers of Basilides on this issue, as if he agrees with their view that born eunuchs are born with a natural sense of repulsion from a woman, although he would certainly not agree with these Gnostic heretics on much else.
Clement lived and ministered in an age when same sex relationships between men were a common occurrence. It does not strain credulity to believe that the eunuchs Clement and Basilides described were same sex attracted eunuchs.
“For there are eunuchs which were made eunuchs from their mother's womb, I should very much like to be able to say something bold about eunuchs. Be not proud, ye who are eunuchs by nature".
"For, in point of self-restraint, this is perhaps unwilling. For it has not come to the test, nor has your self-restraint been proved by trial [a man who has no sexual interest in women does not struggle with lust for women].
For the good which is by nature is not a subject of merit; that which is the result of purpose is laudable... Since then, natural chastity is not meritorious [being born with a natural sense of repulsion from a woman or without lust for a woman, through no choice of your own, is not meritorious], I demand something else from the eunuchs. Do not go a whoring in respect of the Godhead. Having been wedded to Christ [he is speaking to saved eunuchs-gay people who have trusted Jesus Christ], do not dishonour Christ.”
- Gregory recognized the reality, that eunuchs by nature were different than castrasted, manmade eunuchs. Could it be that same sex attracted eunuchs worshipped openly in Gregory's church?
- Eunuchs by nature, physically intact men who possessed natural chastity [no sexual interest in women], existed in Gregory’s time, AD 330-389. Could the eunuchs in Gregory's congregation, who possessed natural chastity, have been same sex attracted eunuchs?
- Gregory understood, more than 1600 years ago, that the condition of being a eunuch by nature was innate and not the result of a personal choice.
- A physically intact, eunuch by nature, who had no sexual interest in women [no lust for women], had no right to feel pride since, according to Gregory, he had not chosen his condition.
- Gregory recognized that a eunuch by nature, a man with no sexual interest in women, still faced the potential problem of lust through sexual temptation with men. Thus Gregory's warning against going a whoring from God, perhaps as shrine prostitutes, where men had sex with men, to worship the fertility goddess. could the eunuchs in Gregory's congregation have been same sex attracted eunuchs?
- Gregory loved his people enough to lead eunuchs or gay folk, to saving faith in Jesus Christ. He then encouraged them, as members of his congregation, to live for the Lord who loved them and bought them with His blood. Born eunuchs-gay people, were welcome in Gregory’s congregation. Are gay people welcome in your congregation?
"If any one in sickness has been subjected by physicians to a surgical operation, or if he has been castrated by barbarians, let him remain among the clergy; but, if any one in sound health has castrated himself, it behooves that such an one, if [already] enrolled among the clergy, should cease [from his ministry], and that from henceforth no such person should be promoted. But, as it is evident that this is said of those who wilfully do the thing and presume to castrate themselves, so if any have been made eunuchs by barbarians, or by their masters, and should otherwise be found worthy, such men the Canon admits to the clergy."
“Let a eunuch, if he be such by the injury of men, or his virilia were taken away in the persecution, or he was born such, and yet is worthy of episcopacy, be made a bishop.”
It seems apparent from the above quotations, that the early church accepted both castrated eunuchs and uncastrated, born eunuchs, “he that was born such,” into the ministry of the Christian church. Same sex attracted eunuchs fall into the category of “he that was born such.”
founded Focus On The Family and Love Won Out, an anti-gay ministry now part of Exodus International. Dobson is now dissociated from FOTF and has his own independent radio ministry. He admitted in a November, 2006, Larry King Live TV interview, that homosexual orientation, in his opinion, is usually not the result of individual choice.
Dr. Dobson, then pointed out that many Christian leaders disagree with him but he holds to his personal belief that homosexual orientation is usually not the result of individual choice.
If homosexual orientation is usually not the result of individual choice, Dr. Dobson’s viewpoint has interesting implications for our historically and scripturally accurate belief that ancient eunuchs were sometimes gay.
Do you believe
Does “on account of their temperament” include same sex attracted eunuchs who were temperamentally unsuited for heterosexual marriage because they were not sexually attracted to women?
It's interesting that an American Law Dictionary published 150 years ago, defined a class of people who were unsuited for heterosexual marriage because of their temperament, not because they were born with genital deformities. Sounds like gay men or lesbian women, doesn't it?
Easton's Bible Dictionary defines the term eunuch.
“Eunuch: literally bed-keeper or chamberlain, and not necessarily in all cases one who was mutilated [physically castrated]... They were common also among the Greeks and Romans... Three classes of eunuchs are mentioned in Matthew 19:12.”
Christians in 1897 had the information that eunuchs were not necessarily mutilated (castrated) men. If a man could be a eunuch without being physically castrated, either he was asexual or transgendered or transsexual or he was a same sex attracted eunuch.
The International Standard Bible Encyclopedia informs us that the existence of eunuchs as a class of people was common knowledge during the earthly ministry of Christ. In speaking of eunuchs, according to ISBE, Jesus intends His disciples to understand that:
“there are exceptional cases where the rule [about Adam and Eve style marriage] does not hold. In speaking of the three classes of eunuchs (Matthew 19:12), He made a distinction which was evidently well known to those whom He addressed.”
According to the International Standard Bible Encyclopedia, most definitely not a gay friendly publication, the three classes of eunuch, including “born eunuchs” were well known in the first century AD.
It should come as no surprise to students of history that same sex attracted eunuchs are included in the category of “born eunuch.”
According to Moses, the human author of Genesis, Potiphar is a saris-eunuch.
According to Philo, commenting on Moses, Potiphar is a natural eunuch who happens to be married to a woman.
He possesses the organs of generation [has not been castrated] but apparently has no sexual interest in his wife. Potiphar purchased the handsome young Jewish slave Joseph and put him in charge of his entire household. Is it possible that Potiphar was included in the group we now recognize as same sex attracted eunuchs?
“The man [Potiphar] who bought this servant [Joseph] of whom we are speaking is said to have been a eunuch; very naturally, for the multitude which purchases the services of a man skilful in affairs of state is truly a eunuch, having in appearance, indeed, the organs of generation, but being deprived of all the power requisite for generating [no physical desire for a woman]... What, then, is the resemblance of eunuchs to the multitude? That the multitude too is unable to generate wisdom... (60) On which account (though it seems a most unnatural thing), a wife is represented as cohabiting with this eunuch [Potiphar].” - Philo, On Joseph, XII. 58-60.
- We have described individuals who are born eunuchs.
- This is recognized by Jewish Rabbis and Christian believers and even by Gnostic heretics.
- Everyone agrees that born eunuchs did not choose their condition.
- Their condition was chosen for them by God.
- These born eunuchs are physically intact and capable of procreation.
- These born eunuchs have a natural sense of repulsion from marrying a woman.
- We can conclude that born eunuchs are asexual, having no sexual interest in anyone.
- We can conclude that born eunuchs are not gay or transgendered but are something undefinable (which refutes this argument, since the Jews did define born eunuchs).
- We can conclude that some born eunuchs are transgendered, a designation different than homosexual or heterosexual.
- We can conclude that some born eunuchs are gay men and lesbian women.
- We can conclude that born eunuchs fall into categories 3. and 4.
Readers are free to reach whatever conclusion they believe the facts warrant.
The Born Eunuch website by Faris Malik
Has more information about eunuchs
than any other site on the net plus
many Links to additional information.
We’ve read about
Same Sex Attracted Eunuchs.
Gay Christian 101 Home Page.
This page updated May 30, 2013
into 90 languages
We are saved
by grace alone
through faith alone
in Christ alone.
FREE Bible Study
Is the Bible
FREE Bible Study