What did Jesus believe about the Bible?
by Rick Brentlinger
(Pace, FL, USA)
This Bible Book Camp study explores what Jesus believed about the Bible. Jesus is God and He is the original Author of the Bible. If we are His disciples, then we must learn from Jesus and believe what Jesus believes about the Bible.
Jesus and the Bible declare scripture to be God's truth, John 17:17, the words of God, preserved by God so we can know what God wants us to know about Him. We recommend and use the King James Version for Bible study because it is the most accurate English translation.
Modern bible versions leave out many words and sometimes entire verses so it's best to use the old King James Version of the Bible. If you do not have a King James Bible, use the Bible you have available.
To discover what the Bible says about itself, look up the verses and ﬁll in the blanks. Here is a FREE pdf of this Bible study so you can print it out.
1. Hebrews 4:12 - The ____ of ___ discerns the thoughts and intents of our hearts. The Bible is not a book ﬁlled with human ideas and personal opinions. It is God’s word and God is the Author of this amazing Book. Romans 10:17 - ______ comes by hearing the ____ of ___.
2. 2 Timothy 2:15 - The Bible is the ____ of _____. It is God’s truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth. It is completely trustworthy. When we study it in context the Bible does not contain contradictions or mistakes or errors.
3. Psalm 12:6-7 - The words of the LORD are ____ _____, preserved by God for ever. Psalm 119:140 - God’s word is ____ pure.
Philippians 2:16 - The Bible is the ____ __ ____. Hebrews 4:12 says the word of God is quick (living) and ________ and it discerns the ______ and _____ of the heart.
4. 2 Corinthians 5:17 says when someone is “in Christ” they are a ___ creature (creation). Old things pass away and all things become ___.
John 6:47 - Jesus says that when you believe in Him you have __________ ____.
Romans 1:2 - The scriptures of the Bible are ____ scriptures which elevates them above all other religious writings.
What does Jesus say
about the Bible?
Because He is God, John 1:1, and because He is the Word made flesh, John 1:14, Jesus is the ultimate Author of the Bible. No one knows more about the Bible than Jesus Christ so He is our best authority on the Bible.
John 17:17 - The Lord Jesus said God’s word is _____. We know that the Bible is true because Jesus told us it is true. Hebrews 6:18 - It is impossible for God to ___. Titus 1:2 - God cannot ___. John 3:33 - God is ____.
1. John 8:44 - Jesus told us that the devil is a ___ from the beginning, who did not abide in
the _____ because there is no _____ in him... the devil is a ____.
John 8:45-46 - Jesus said: Because I tell you the _____ you don’t believe me... If I say the _____ why do you not believe me? If we believe what Jesus said, what must we believe about the Bible? _______________
2. John 10:35 - Jesus said that the Scripture cannot be ______. Broken means scripture cannot fail to come to pass, cannot be deprived of authority, cannot be defeated or done away with.
Luke 24:25 - Jesus called some disciples _____ because they did not believe ___ that the Jewish
prophets have spoken. Are you a fool or do you believe all
that God's prophets have spoken?
3. Luke 24:44 - Jesus said that ___ things must be fulﬁlled in the ___ __ _____, and in the ________, and in the ______. This is Jesus’ testimony that everything in scripture is true and will come to pass just as the Bible says. Mark 14:49 - Jesus said, The scriptures ____ be _________.
5. Matthew 5:18 - In the Hebrew language, a jot (yod in Hebrew) and a tittle (small marks that distinguish between two similar looking Hebrew letters) are like our dot over an i
or our crossbar on a t
. According to Jesus not even the smallest part of a Hebrew letter will pass away till ___ is _______. Everything in the Bible is true and will happen just like the Bible says. If Jesus was teaching us in English today
, He would say it this way: "In the Bible every dot on an i
and every crossbar on a t
will be fulﬁlled." That is Jesus’ way of saying that every letter and every word in the Bible is true and trustworthy.
Jesus believed all
of the Bible is true (Luke 24:25) and as His disciples we should believe what Jesus believed about the Bible. Do you believe that all
of the Bible is true?
What does the Bible
say about itself?
2 Timothy 3:16. "All
scripture is given by inspiration of God" can also be translated: "All scripture is God- breathed." How much of the Bible is God-breathed? ____.
When we speak we breathe out words. Try holding your breath and speaking at the same time. Can you do it? ___
2 Timothy 3:16 tells us God breathed out the words of scripture. "All s________ is God-breathed" and this means the whole Bible is God-breathed.
The whole Bible is God’s words. "For the _____ of the ____ hath ______ it." Isaiah 40:5. Compare Psalm 33:6 where the expression "the ____ of the ____" is like the expression "the ______ of His _____." "Wait a minute! You just said
that all Scripture is God-breathed and the whole Bible is the word of God. But I thought men like Moses, David, Isaiah, Jeremiah, Matthew, Mark, Luke, John and Paul wrote the Bible. If it was written by men, how can the Bible be God’s word?"
The answer is in 2 Peter 1:21: "For the ________ (the written word of God) came not in old time by the will of man, but ____ ___ __ ___ (like Moses, David and Paul) spoke as they were _____ by the Holy Ghost."
So, David wrote Psalm 23 as he was moved/led by God the Holy Spirit. God intended David to write Psalm 23 even before David was born! The same is true about Jeremiah. God was preparing Jeremiah to be a prophet while he was still in his mother's ____, Jeremiah 1:5.
David grew up and became a shepherd who took care of his father’s ﬂocks. One day he realized how much taking care of sheep and goats every day was like the loving care and protection of the LORD for His people and David wrote: "The L___ is __ _______" Psalm 23:1.
God the Holy Spirit moved David to write his Psalms in such a way that he wrote precisely the words God wanted him to write. David himself described the process of inspiration in 2 Samuel 23:2 – "The _____ of the ____ _____ by __, and His ____ was in __ tongue." In this verse, David gives the credit to God. Whose word was in David’s tongue? _____ How long will the word of God last?
The Bible has the answer. Isaiah 40:8. “The word of our God shall stand ___ ____.
Psalm 119:89. “For ever O LORD, ___ ____ is settled in heaven.”
Matthew 24:35. Jesus said: “Heaven and earth shall pass away, but my words _____ ___ ____ ____.”
1 Peter 1:23-25. “Being born again, not of corruptible seed, but of incorruptible, by ___ ____ __ ___, which liveth and abideth ___ ____ ...But the word of the Lord _______ ___ ____.”
1. How much of the Bible is inspired?
2. Is the Bible the word of God or the word of men?
3. Is the Bible true? Is the Bible pure? Is the Bible holy?
4. Can we trust what the Bible says?
5. How long will the word of God last?
6. Did Jesus believe all of the Bible?
7. Does God want us to believe all of the Bible?
8. Do you believe the Bible is God’s holy word?
9. Will you memorize some of the verses in this lesson?
10. Have you believed in Jesus as your Savior
from sin? Yes / No Download our FREE
Bible Studies today
Will you explain
how to be saved?
Return to Bible Boot Camp
Get the facts about idolatry
Return to Sermons
Return to 101 Community
Gay Christian 101 Home Page
Photo of a Czech Bible by Danel
courtesy of Wikimedia Commons