by Rick Brentlinger
(Pace, FL, USA)
Definition of faith - Faith is the act of a joyful heart, believing what God said, which causes the soul to turn from sin and trust God.
Martin Luther defines faith: "Faith is a living, bold trust in God's grace, so certain of God's favor that it would risk death a thousand times trusting in it. Such confidence and knowledge of God's grace makes us happy, joyful and bold in our relationship to God and all creatures. The Holy Spirit makes this happen through faith. Because of faith we freely, willingly and joyfully do good to everyone, serve everyone, suffer all kinds of things, love and praise the God who has shown us such grace."
Three Memory Verses on Faith
- Practical faith is “now” faith - Hebrews 11:1.
a. God makes faith available to every Christian, Romans 12:3.
b. God expects every Christian to live by faith, Romans 1:17, Galatians 3:11, Hebrews 10:38.
c. God demonstrates His power when we live by faith, Hebrews 11:11.
d. God always tests our faith to see if we are willing to trust Him when we can’t see the outcome, Hebrews 11:8-12, 17-19.
- Practical faith is based on what God said - Hebrews 11:6.
a. To know what God said, read His words, Romans 10:17, Deuteronomy 32:46, Psalm 12:6-7, 119:128, 140, 151, 160, Luke 24:25, Acts 24:14.
b. God’s written word mixes with the faith He gives you, Hebrews 4:2
- Practical faith causes us to understand what we couldn’t ordinarily understand, Hebrews 11:3.
a. Creation points to a Creator, Psalm 19:1-4, and displays God’s glory.
b. As God’s creation, we will be judged by Him, Acts 17:29-31, Psalm 19:14.
- Practical faith is the only way we can please God, Hebrews 11:6.
a. Practical faith obeys God, like Noah, Hebrews 11:7, like Abraham, Hebrews 11:8.
b. Practical faith always trusts God’s goodness, Hebrews 11:17-19.
- Practical faith takes us through difficult trials, Hebrews 11:22.
a. Joseph was sold into slavery by his brothers, Genesis 37:23-28.
b. Joseph spent 13 lonely years in Pharaoh’s prison for choosing chastity, Genesis 39:1, 7-14, 20.
c. Rahab’s faith saved her and her family, Hebrews 11:31, Joshua 6:23-25.
- Practical faith keeps us focused on the real goal, Hebrews 12:1-3.
a. Our examples are heroes of faith, Hebrews 12:1.
b. Looking unto Jesus is the key to practical faith, Hebrews 12:2.
c. Staying focused on Jesus reminds us what life’s battles are all about, Hebrews 12:3.
Romans 1:17 - “The just shall live by faith.”
Hebrews 11:1 - “Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.”
Hebrews 11:6 - “But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him.”Summary of Faith
1. Faith is as real as the air we breathe.
2. Faith is God's gift to every believer in Christ.
3. Faith is the life of Christ lived through you and I every day of our lives as believers.
4. Faith is the rope tied to the bucket of reality, dipping itself into the well of God's fullness.
5. Faith is living the overcoming life in the power of the Holy Spirit, Galatians 5:16.
6. Faith is our essential key to spiritual victory.
"The just shall live by faith."
-Romans 1:17Return to Sermons
Return to 101 Community
Gay Christian 101 Home Page
Click here to post comments
Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Sermons.