Can you convince me that Romans 1 is NOT talking about gays and lesbians?
The Colosseum in Rome
There are many Godly reasons to reject the tired old argument that "Romans 1 is talking about gays and lesbians." I'll list a few reasons here and provide Links at the end which point you to more information and more reasons.
- Old Testament Law never condemns lesbians and never prohibits lesbian partnerships. Therefore there is no basis in Jewish Law to condemn female homosexuality.
"Because the law worketh wrath:Since the Law of Moses does NOT condemn or prohibit lesbianism, it makes no sense to argue that Paul intended to condemn lesbians in Romans 1:26 because he has no basis in Jewish law to make that condemnation.
for where no law is, there is no transgression." -Romans 4:15
"For until the law sin was in the world: but sin is not imputed where there is no law." -Romans 5:13
INstead, Romans 1 condemns idolaters who:
(a) rejected God
(b) refused to worship God
(c) worshiped idols
If you are a saved, born again gay Christian, trusting Jesus Christ as your personal Savior, you have NOT rejected God, you have NOT refused to worship God and you are NOT worshiping the fertility goddess. Therefore, you are NOT included in the group of people Romans 1:26-27 condemns.
- The apostle Paul was a Jewish legal expert who knew Jewish Law backwards and forwards. Paul based what he believed on Old Testament, Jewish Law and what God showed him by revelation. That's why Paul frequently quotes the Old Testament in his letters.
- Because the Law of Moses does not condemn lesbians, there is absolutely no reason to assume that Paul suddenly goes off on a tangent from his argument against idolatry to condemn lesbians in Romans 1:26.
- Paul's tightly reasoned argument against idolatry (note that he is NOT arguing against lesbians and gay men - instead, Paul mentions female and male shrine prostitution as examples of idolatry), compares what the women were doing in v. 26 with what the men were doing in v. 27 - "likewise also the men..."
- If Paul is not condemning lesbians in Romans 1:26 then Paul is not condemning gay men in Romans 1:27. His words are aimed at female and male shrine prostitutes who worshiped the fertility goddess (not lesbians and gay men and not bisexuals and not transgendered people).
- What Paul condemns in Romans 1:26-27 is idolatry, one manifestation of which was female and male shrine prostitution, a common activity in first century Rome.
Helpful LinksDoes Romans 1:26-27 condemn homosexuals?How can you say that Romans 1 has nothing to do with homosexuality?What is the historical context of Romans 1?What about Romans and shrine prostitution?What does against nature mean in Romans?Does Romans 1:26 condemn lesbians?How did you decide that Romans 1:26 does not condemn lesbians?Are lesbians treated the same as gays in the Bible?How can you reconcile being gay with what the Bible says?Does the Bible say homosexuals will go to hell?Click here to return to Gay Christian FAQ Page.We've answered the question: Can you convince me that Romans 1 is NOT talking about gays and lesbians? Click here to return to Gay Christian 101 Home Page.